Our bodies are made to detox naturally, but with so many environmental toxins and toxins from our food, beauty products, and cleaning products these days, sometimes we need to give our bodies some extra assistance. If I notice my skin getting congested, I feel bloated and sluggish, or if I feel extra tired, I know that I could probably use a little liver detox. This isn’t a cleanse or anything crazy restrictive, its just being more mindful of what you’re putting in your body and taking extra care. I especially like to pay extra attention to my liver if I’ve been traveling or if I’ve been eating out or drinking alcohol more than normal. Below are my top tips for detoxing your liver and giving it some extra love:
Tips For Detoxing Your Liver:
1. Avoid alcohol for 2-3 weeks. Yes even that one glass of wine.
2. Avoid dairy. Dairy can be hard on the digestive system and therefore hard on the liver as well. It can cause inflammation in the body. Try cutting back on dairy or cut it out for a week or two.
3. Drink warm lemon water in the morning. Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning alkalizes the body and provides a gentle detox for the liver.
4. Avoid sugar for 2-3 weeks. We should be avoiding sugar anyways, but especially when trying to detox the liver and give it a rest. Sugar creates an acidic environment in our bodies and feeds the bad bacteria in our microbiome. Cutting out sugar for a couple weeks will help our livers detox.
5. Eat organic apples a few times a week. Apples are great for purging the liver of toxins because of their pectins and malic acid. They are also anti-inflammatory and help protect against fatty liver disease.
6. Avoid processed foods. Processed foods typically contain less healthy ingredients that cause inflammation and add to the toxic load within the body that the liver then has to filter.
7. Add in lots of green vegetables. Green vegetables are very alkalizing for the body and will help assist the liver in detoxing.
8. Take supplements such as zinc, B12, glutathione, and magnesium. These all help the support detoxification of the liver and overall function of the liver.
9. Drink lots of water!! It’s always important to be drinking lots of water, but it’s especially important while your body is detoxing. This will help to flush out the toxins from your liver. Make sure the water you are drinking is either filtered or spring water.
10. Incorporate beets into your diet. Beets contain phytonutrients called betalains that help to detox the liver. You can eat beets raw or cooked or even juice them.
I hope you find these tips for detoxing your liver useful! These are things you can be incorporating on a monthly or weekly basis in order to keep your liver in tip top shape.